CRANBERRY

10 augusti, 2015 15:29Posted by Admin

cranberryCranberry

Cranberry (Vaccinium oxycoccos)
Family: Ericaceae
Genus: Vaccinum
Species: oxycoccus

 

 

 

 

Cranberries are low, creeping shrubs or vines up to 2 meters long and 5 to 20 centimetres in height. Cranberry leaves during the summer and glossy dark green, in winter, during periods of rest, the leaves lose chlorophyll and become red. The fruit is a berry that is initially white, but turns a deep red when fully ripe. berries are edible, with an acidic taste that can overwhelm its sweetness.

Cranberry fruit can be eaten fresh, dried, frozen or in juice form. From a practical point of view in the fruits of cranberry greatest importance is the content of sugars, organic acids, pectin, and vitamins. The fruits are rich in minerals, vitamin A, vitamin C and potassium. Of the other substances in fruits are observed betaine and bioflavonoids: anthocyanins, leucoanthocyanins, catechins, flavonols and phenolic acids

Human food

Since the early 21st century within the global functional food industry, raw cranberries have been marketed as a "superfruit" due to their nutrient content and antioxidant qualities (1).

Medical uses

Cranberries are traditionally used to treat urinary tract infections (bladder infection, cystitis) (2). It is proven that cranberry juices and extracts can reduce the incidence of urinary tract infections in women (3).

Cosmetic and Beauty Products Industry

The berry itself can survive at very low temperatures, so its robustness is also used in natural cosmetics.  Cranberry, is widely used in the cosmetics industry. Ecouna AB (Swedish producer of natural cosmetics) launched its Cranberry Conditioner with cranberry seed oil and thyme extract.

Industrial use

About 95% of cranberries are processed into products such as juice drinks, sauce, and sweetened dried cranberries. The remaining 5% are sold fresh to consumers (1).

Sources

  1. Wikipedia
  2. Cranberry wins EU medical UTI claim
  3. Scientific review – Cranberry
  4. Picture
  5. Arctic Naturals Cranberry Conditioner